Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weekend Feature: dogwoodlane

I’ve been wanting to start featuring a new etsian each week and now I’ve finally gotten around to it. My first victim, Sally from dogwoodlane.etsy.com. She makes all kinds of bags and her signature item, the Super Organized Wallet. All of them are made of the most fantastically stylish fabrics. One of her babies is coming to live with me soon! In this post you can view some of her products and read her interview.
Try not to be jelous guys, this mod bag is MINE! Besides, if you saw the state of my current bag
you would buy it for me. Don't worry, Sally has other lovely things in her shop and does special
orders too.


This is one of dogwoodlane's superfantastic Super Organized Wallets in Atomic Circles. Click the pics to see the etsy listing.

all product photos were used with the permission of dogwoodlane.etsy.com



What do you do for a living in the daytime?

Well, I'm a stay at home mama to a little girl who just turned 4. So I mostly play games that she's made up and sew during the day.

Tell us a little about your etsy self.

So, dogwoodlane is my shop and it's my place to connect to the crafty world and other people who really appreciate handmade. I've really come to love the etsy community (especially my AREtsy gals) so much! Having so many people who have a love for handmade items in one place is pretty incredible. I also really love the relationships that I've made with many of my customers. It's really fantastic to get to know the people who enjoy the things I make. And well, OK, and the shopping is fantastic, too!

Tell us a little about your non-etsy self.

I'm pretty boring really. I have a cute little family of three (my husband, the little one, and me). I like to ride my bicycle, and I like books and movies.

What do you make and why did you start making it

I make various types of bags and purses, but my signature item is my super organized wallet. I started making wallets because I really like them, and I was having a hard time finding one for myself that I was really happy with. I like wallets that I can shove full of all kinds of stuff and not have to worry about carrying a bag if I don't want to. And, I really was tired of all the plain leather mass produced stuff that I was finding in stores. So, after lots of trial and error, I came up with the super organized wallet.

How did you discover etsy and how long have you been selling on etsy?

I found etsy when I was browsing the internet for artwork for my home. At the time, I hadn't even really considered selling the things I made online or anywhere else for that matter. But, I was hooked on the site and, after alot of encouragement, started a shop of my own in Jan. 2007.

What inspires you?

Oh, I guess I get inspiration from lots of places. Usually, if I'm in a bit of a slump, just getting away from sewing and playing with my little one and marveling at her creativity gets me going again. And sometimes it's just the fabrics that do it....sometimes they just call out to be made into something.

What advice do you have for people trying to sell their crafts?

I'm certainly no expert, but I really think you just gotta find your niche (especially on etsy) and roll with it. You have to find what makes your work unique and really focus on that and let people know what makes you so stinkin' cool. And...I think you have to love whatever it is that you do (a big ol’ cliche, I know).

3 comments:

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

I love my Dogwood Lane wallet! It's nice to learn about the designer behind the goods.

Tizzalicious said...

Oooh, I AM jealous of the bag!

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Dogwood does beautiful work and this was a fantastic interview!