Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Family Record Of Apologies

Since Boy #2 was just a baby I've been wanting to scrap some less conventional subject matter. I've been milling this about in my little brain for so long but with the latest artistic identity crisis I decided it was time to dig in. I need an artistic outlet, not just a crafty one. They are two separate parts of me that need indulged, it's time for art to make a comeback! I'd been in debate as to whether or not I'd start painting again, and I may some day, but for now it's not piquing my interest. I decided I really do love paper and scrapping I just need it to hold an artistic edge. So that's what I'm embarking on, scrapping with an artistic edge. I'm still going to do my traditional books for family photos, this is just extra, just for me. I don't think I'll put them in a scrapbook, maybe a decorative box? Or framed in shadow boxes? Not sure. But here's my first piece A Family Record of Apologies. You are getting slightly ripped off here. The small tags next to the chipboard numbers will have my apologies to each family member written on them, I'm just not that into sharing, maybe someday.

I really do love the way it turned out and can't wait to do some more. I pulled out the sewing machine to stitch the paper and I was in love with that process. There's some nice layering going on and I enjoy the distressed photos printed on linen textured cardstock. It was hard for me to do that. Books and photos are both something I prize and take great care of. The process of damaging a photograph, even one I'd printed myself, took a bit of a push. Worth it.



6 comments:

idyll hands said...

fabulous and very meaningful idea. My knit bracelets are my "artistic" side of my jewelry making. Everything else is just crafting. Yarn is another story though :)

Sunny of The Beehive said...

I think yarn is your obsession :) I love your yarns so much they make me want to take up knitting.

Lizardbreath said...

Very cool! Definately frame them and put them on the wall. After all, they are art. Loved it!

KennethADavis said...

I love that! I've always seen your scrap-booking as an artistic thing, but I always love to see an artist stretch!

Ekio Locatiare said...

Eek, lol. That was still signed into Hubb's account.

it was me &-~

Sunny of The Beehive said...

LOL! Ekio, I was wondering who this stranger was who'd "always seen..." :P