Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Feature: KatRoman

Wow! I didn't realize it had been so long since my last feature! Well it's back and this week's feature is of etsy seller KatRoman, jewelry maker extraordinaire. She's vintage, goth, a little rock and roll, a little punk humor, and a little high end boutique all rolled up in one. I'm especially fond of her humor, like "Caught Betting" pictured below. Be sure to check out her shop, KatRoman.etsy.com and her fantastic blog. Her husband's an artist too! You can check out his blog here. Read her interview below and click any image to go to that item's etsy listing.


Vintage Swallow Necklace




Caught Betting Earrings



Double Bauble Choker Necklace


All images used with the permission of KatRoman



KatRoman's Interview


What do you do for a living in the daytime?


Basically I’m a stay at home mom. I have the pleasure of being able to get my son ready for school in the a.m. and volunteer at his school. I know there will be a day that he will be gone. So I’m trying to cherish this moment as much as I can. While he is in school is when I find the time to create my goodies.

Tell us a little about your Etsy self?

I’ve been on Etsy since July 2007. Originally I wanted to just use it as a means to have a website to sell goods without having to maintain an actual website. I found that the artists on Etsy are very helpful and I’m loving the aspect of having a creative social network of artist friends. They don’t have this cut throat mentality that you often find in fashion.

Tell us a little about your non-etsy self?

I work part time at my friends awesome shop on the Lower East Side in NYC called Live Fast. I assist in buying, merchandising, managing and I’m also able to showcase my items in the shop. (you can visit Live Fast at http://livefastnyc.com/)

What do you make and why did you start making it?

I basically make clothing. My mother was a seamstress. So I ventured into fashion in my late 20’s. I worked as secretary then as an office manager for a large hotel chain. Then something just clicked, it wasn't creating so I decided to attend Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC and graduated with a degree in Fashion Design. Nowadays I’ve shifted to making all kinds of stuff, like jewelry and handbags. I’ve been doing the jewelry since the 80’s when I was inspired my mother in law and her husband.

What inspires you?

Not to sound so vague, basically everything. My husband is a really great artist. We actually met on a NYC Subway while he was drawing and I was being nosey watching him. I think anything can bring inspiration to your work. A tree branch, a blue sky even a passerby. You just have to sit back and let it all soak in. Life is an inspiration.

What advice do you have for people trying to sell their crafts?

Just enjoy and the rest will follow.

2 comments:

Computadores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Diana said...

Sunny, great feature!!! I can always count on you to introduce me to something really cool, and this is no exception. I'm really looking forward to getting to know Kat Roman through her art and her blog; it sounds like we have a tad in common, and I'd love to see further her perspective on the world. Thank you!

Hey, I have to send you a convo!!! I have 2 things for you: one to send, and a secret to tell. Stand by!