Friday, June 5, 2009

Weekend Feature: The Scrappy Shack Die Cuts


I'm so excited about this weekend's handmade supply feature. I've been growing more and more in love with designing and making die cuts but Lori of The Scrappy Shack on Etsy is the queen bee of die cuts. Her shop is full of beauties and she'll even do custom and wholesale orders! Have a look at her shop here, click an image in this post to be taken to the listing, where you can make it yours, and be sure to read the interview below. You can also keep up with Lori and her creations on Flickr here and on her blog, www.thescrappyshack.com where she has some exciting things going on. You can enter to win some of her die cuts here and apply to be on the Scrappy Shack design team here. Happy Crafting!


All photos used with the permission of The Scrappy Shack

Interview with The Scrappy Shack

What do you do for a living in the daytime?

I am a full-time mom and part time paper craft designer. Once upon a time I worked as a secretary in a federal prison, but when my daughter was born three years ago I left to stay home and watch her grow.

Tell us a little about your etsy self

Well....I spend my days running my cutter and my nights working on new designs. I keep a notebook next to me at all times because I have the most random ideas at the weirdest times. My Blah Blah Blah Word Balloon die cut was something I thought of while I was drifting off to sleep one night.

Tell us a little about your non-etsy self

I am married to Jay, who is the very best travel partner in the world. We love to travel and some places we have been together are Hawaii, Seattle, Napa Valley, and New Orleans, and right now we are planning our trip to my favorite city in the world - New York.

In 2006 my daughter was born and joined our family through the miracle of adoption. She is a fun and lively 3 year old, and she keeps me busy. Adoption is very close to my heart, and I love to share Lacie's story and hear other families' adoption stories.

What do you make and why did you start making it?

I design and create die cuts for paper crafting. I started my business to scrapbook memories for others when I left my full time job in 2006. I bought my cutter to help me speed my production time, and quickly fell in love with the machine and what I could do with it. Thus, my designing took off and now I am spending all my work time creating die cuts.

What inspires you?

Everything. Honestly, most of my ideas come at the oddest times and I most times I have no inkling where they came from.

What advice do you have for people trying to sell their crafts?

Network every chance you get. Carry your business card with you at all times and pass as many out as you can. Take advantage of all the networking opportunities online - Facebook, Twitter, photo sharing, blogging, Meetup, CafeMom, there are tons of ways.

For an online venue, invest in a good camera and learn to use it properly. Photos are the most important thing for setting up an online shop.

No comments: